Posted on: 11 May 2016
Mold spores travel through the air, land on surfaces, and that's where they grow. Mold can be greenish, white, gray, brown, or black depending on the species. Not all black molds are toxic. However, there is a species of mold, Stachybotrys atra, commonly called black mold, which is highly toxic. It is important to recognize the signs and symptoms of exposure to black mold because of its high toxicity and possibility of permanent health damage.
Breathing in spores from toxic black mold can cause respiratory problems. Typical symptoms are coughing, wheezing, shortness of breath, sore throat, stuffy and itchy nose, and swelling and bleeding in the lungs.
Vision and Eye Problems
Lengthy exposure to toxic mold may cause conjunctivitis, which is an inflammation or infection in the eye. Symptoms are itchy, inflamed eyes, jaundice, and blurred vision. Left untreated, conjunctivitis can cause eye damage.
Mental and Neurological Issues
The toxins in black mold spores can cause neurological problems and affect the mental abilities of the person exposed. Neurological symptoms include hallucinations, loss of memory, seizures, trembling, depression and/or anxiety, confusion, dizziness, difficulty concentrating, and numbness.
One of the ways black mold enters the body is via the skin. Exposure can result from simply touching a surface or handling something that has black mold on it. Lengthy exposure to black mold has been associated with jaundice, blisters and rashes, itchiness of the skin, and the sensation of crawling skin.
Black mold can affect the reproductive system and cause miscarriage, infertility, impotence, and even birth defects.
Toxic black mold can affect the immune system. Someone who has been exposed once is at risk for recurring infections. In some cases, infections from black mold can cause death.
Tiredness and Discomfort
The immune system will try to defend itself from toxins. In doing so, the patient may become fatigued, develop aches and pains, feel nauseated or vomit, develop diarrhea, and experience general flu-like symptoms.
Other symptoms of black mold exposure may include hair loss, weight loss, issues with hearing or hearing loss, liver disease, and even coma. The symptoms will affect people differently. Children, the elderly, and people with medical issues and weak immune systems are generally the most affected. Once black mold has been removed from the environment, health issues should gradually decrease; however, there may be some permanent effects, such as a weakened immune system.
If you were exposed to black mold and have any of the symptoms listed above, you should see a physician. Contact a business, such as the American Environmental Construction LLC, for more information.Share